Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Essentials for Working Remotely

Tip Tuesday: What essentials do you bring with you when working remotely?

One of the most coveted perks of the freelance life is the ability to work from anywhere. With nothing keeping you tethered to a desk in an office, freelancers enjoy the ability to work not only from the comfort of their own homes, but also while seeing the world.

Whether you want to get out and enjoy the weather, visit friends or family in different parts of the globe, or enjoy a fine cup of coffee or a bite to eat in your favorite local haunt during the day, you can do all of this and still take care of business at the same time—with the right tools.

If you have been thinking about changing up your surroundings and dipping a toe into the endless possibilities, but aren’t sure what you might need to bring with you, our Facebook community has stepped in to help. Here are some great tips on how to make working remotely as stress free and enjoyable as possible.


“Bring a well charged laptop, and a well charged cellphone for internet access. For road trips, I have a car power inverter; a small one was $14 and I use it to charge the laptop and the cell phone. Also, I always carry a good set of headphones for calls or just to hear music.”
– Carlos Ferrera


“I always bring earbuds! That way, I can tune out other noise and stay focused.”
Leah Lavelle


“I always have a notebook and a pen on hand. I like to outline articles, jot down ideas, and make notes to remember. This is also really helpful if I don’t have access to my computer at that moment.”
Angela Gingerich Brown


“Anti-reflective eyewear.”
Sujay Banerjee


“I bring my Morphie backup battery (works with MacBook), iPhone, iPad, electric travel water kettle, and my pour over coffee kit.”
Belinda Johnson Bernhard


“If you are in the Philippines, I recommend getting a pocket Wi-Fi from [several] different providers (i.e. Globe, Smart, or Sun) to be sure you won’t have issues like dead spot or no signal when working away from home or while traveling.”
Jo T Salud


“I bring my organizer with me (a planner styled like a Bullet Journal) to keep track of my progress. Ballpoint pen, a small notebook, and highlighter also work..plus a book related to my project or basically something to read to keep me on track.”
Celine Bernadette Hautea Francisco


The key takeaway? With technology becoming increasingly more portable, it is possible to work on your business in an infinite number of inspiring locations—whether that be a shaded park bench, a cabin in the woods, the coffee shop at the end of the street, or a dream destination halfway across the world. All you need are your laptop and the portable tools you need to get things done—and your “can-do” attitude.

What remote work essentials would you add to this list? Tell us in the comments!

Editor’s note: Responses edited for grammar, spelling, and clarity. The statements above are those of their authors and do not constitute the views or opinions of Upwork.

The post The Essentials for Working Remotely appeared first on Upwork Blog.



from Upwork Blog http://ift.tt/2cozZqy

No comments:

Post a Comment