Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Inside Upwork: Productivity Tips from Upwork HQ

Two women in a meeting at Upwork HQ

One thing we all have in common, no matter what our background or area of specialty, is the desire to make the most of our time. Whether it’s to create more leisure time, or to get more work done, these tips from Upwork employees can help you get things under control.


“A colleague introduced me to the idea of timeboxing—to allocate a preplanned amount of time to each task that you’re working on and to hold yourself accountable to finishing the task within that allocated time period. It sounds like a very simple concept, but it can be easy to spend extraneous time on a task by continually revising and fine-tuning it. By giving myself a specific amount of time to get something done and to do it well, I’m much more focused and efficient with my work.”
– Chandhini Balakrishnan, Category Manager

“Extend your day. It doesn’t work for everyone, but I like to get up early. This allows me to go to the gym, spend time with my family, and still get my work day started in the early morning.”
– Garnor Morantes, Director of Community

“Batch process everything. Plug in, tune out, and don’t get distracted by things. Every distraction or switching of focus requires an average of 20 minutes to recover from. It takes 20 minutes to get back into what you were doing. The longer you go doing deep processing, the more you get done.”
– Alvin Ding, Marketing Manager

“I live by the 80-20 rule because no one will care about how much or how hard you work if the work you do has little impact. 20% of everything you do should have 80% impact.”
– Linda Lo, Freelancer Marketing Program Manager

“When I’m working in the office and I have a big project due, I keep my headphones in and when someone comes up and tries to talk to me, I act like I’m on a phone call. It works every time! “
– Lillian Travis, Enterprise Managed Services

“I wake up (almost) every morning to watch the sunrise (sometimes with a cup of coffee, but most of the time not). I reflect upon what I’m thankful for and what I need to get done for the day. Believe it or not, though it may seem counterintuitive, committing to a time each day to reflect, I believe, is among the most important things one can do. Mine happens to be first thing in the morning.”
– Cecil J. Puvathingal, Director of Sales Development

Hungry for more great tips? Check out the Hiring Headquarters, the ultimate resource for entrepreneurs, executives, and freelancers. We’re adding new content weekly to help you run your business in the most effective and efficient way possible.

The post Inside Upwork: Productivity Tips from Upwork HQ appeared first on Upwork Blog.



from Upwork Blog http://ift.tt/2jKidk2

No comments:

Post a Comment